City of Corcoran

A Hidden Gem Waiting To Be Discovered
Facebook Twitter
Beach sunset

Burning Permits & Guidelines

Burn permits are required to burn anything larger than a 3' x 3' recreational fire. Burn permits are not necessary if the ground is snow-covered: By definition, in Minnesota Statute 88.16 subd. 2: "Snow-covered" means that the ground has a continuous unbroken cover of snow, to a depth of three inches or more, surrounding the immediate area of the fire, sufficient to keep the fire from spreading.

Please check the City website for MN DNR issued burn restrictions. Restrictions are usually placed on during the months of April and May of each year and extend until vegetative materials have greened up. This is determined by the MN DNR.

Burn permits cost:

$10 valid for one month

$50 valid for six months

You can purchase a burn permit at the Police Administrative Office during the business hours of
Mon. - Fri. 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and Thurs. 7:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Check or cash payment only is accepted.

Remember that burning the following items is strictly prohibited:

  • Hazardous wastes
  • Industrial solid waste
  • Demolition debris of commercial or institutional structures. (A farm building is not a commercial structure.) Burning of any structure should be referred to a forest officer.
  • Salvage operations
  • Motor vehicles
  • Oils
  • Rubber
  • Plastics
  • Chemically-treated materials
  • Other materials which produce excessive or noxious smoke, such as, but not limited to: tires, railroad ties, chemically-treated lumber, composite board, sheet rock, wiring, paint, or paint filters.
  • Garbage, defined as discarded material resulting from the handling, processing, storage, preparation, serving, or consumption of food.

Please see the Corcoran Burning Guidelines and the Corcoran Fact Sheet Burn Permits below for further information.

The MN DNR website includes useful information on debris burning.

8200 County Road 116, Corcoran, Minnesota 55340